Monday 29 November 2010

When all is lost, all is left to gain

Well, we made it, we're finally at the big 1-0-0...

I'm not entirely sure I believe this is my 100th post. It doesn't feel like I've kept this up for 100 different posts, 100 different life lessons, 100 different stories. I want to take you all back a little...

Remember that? You'd be forgiven if you don't, it feels like years ago. I remember staying up for HOURS making that banner and the matching pictures to go on the sidebar. It took a long time, but it felt like an accomplishment. I realise now that I never said why I started this blog. Well, I did it because I attempted blogging with a friend (Beth) and then we kind of weren't friends anymore and the blog got forgotten about. We were The Danish Fisherwomen, if you fancy checking it out. Anyway, I guess I liked blogging so I decided to start my own up. It ended up starting off a ''blogging craze'' amongst my friends, with three of them starting up their own (one of them gave up, two of them occasionally post now).

When I started this blog, I was going through some pretty big friendship changes and it was a good outlet of emotion. I could shout out what I was feeling and nobody really read it except a few close friends (Fern, Aiden and Eliza). That dynamic has changed slightly (as evidenced by the reader tracking...), but the reasoning is still there. I think bloggers create their blogs for a reason, and I know it's to express something. Blogs fit into different categories, some are very specific and some are just nonsense. Mine probably fits into the 'nonsense' category.

Since I started my blog up, lots of things have changed in my life, and it's probably worth a recap. The biggest change of all is that I left school on Wednesday 19th May. Frankly, I'm still only just 'getting over' it, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I still struggle with the vast difference between school and college. I went to prom on Wednesday 30th June and had an amazing night with the best friends I could have asked for from 5 years of high school. I went on my World Challenge expedition to Croatia on Friday 9th July and had the time of my life for 8 days, returning on Saturday 17th July. It changed me for the better, and I know I'm never going to forget it. I know I'll make the effort to remember every detail. I started college on Thursday 2nd September. It was great for a while, and then I struggled like mad and spent pretty much every day trying not to cry my way through lessons and being helped by my new (and slightly mental due to the fact that he agreed to be locked in a cage in the common room) tutor, Tim. I made new friends and pretty much lost old ones, but the fact that those of us who stuck together are closer than we ever were before says something to me. It shows me that there's a reason why we're friends. I met Chloe, my form/English/choir buddy, and ended up organising fundraising activities for Children in Need with her. I met Poppy, my choir buddy, comedy twin and Minchin-singer. I met Talor and Kerry, who make Psychology endlessly fun. I met my English Language class, and I love how we all get along brilliantly. I met Jonathan, Adam and the rest of the Amnesty International group, and I met Eleanor who accepted us all for who we are.

I've learnt that the journey really is the important part, and that the outcome is how it is. I've learnt that I'm much for resiliant than I ever believed I could be. I've even learnt how to accept that I can't ''do it all'' (I have counselling by the college counsellor). Most importantly, I think I've learnt how to go with what works best for YOU and just accept that not everybody else will agree with it.

I've also learnt that Rob, our Choirmaster, likes to announce 'emergency rehearsals' - I love it though, and I think I've really started to get used to not just moaning at everything that I don't like. I've also learnt to admit that yes, I do like being stupidly busy.

That's about all from me this evening. Except I would just like to say Happy Birthday to my mum for tomorrow :)

Besos
Rachel

"Doesn't matter what comes crashing down, I'm still gonna stand my solid ground." - Won't Back Down, Mat Kearney

No comments:

Post a Comment