Sunday 25 December 2011

Christmas

Christmas is all but over now. It's 7:50pm here in the UK as I write this and our household has settled down for a long night in front of the TV. Everything is as usual here. I've been Facebooking my half-cousin Zoe, who we haven't seen this Christmas, about her and her family's Christmas and uploading photos of yesterday's annual Christmas Eve gathering at my grandma's house. Nothing is wrong with our little world. I mean, Blogger won't recognise my photo album so I'm having to copy and paste URLs in from Tumblr, but other than that, nothing is wrong with our little world...

I took many ridiculous photos of food and baubles last night at my grandma's. It has become something of a tradition to eat tons of junk and then lose at Trivial Pursuit (my team came 3rd out of 4 teams, so not a total loss...) To put it simply, it's never a ground-movingly memorable event, but that's precisely the point - it's tradition. It's regular and we can seek comfort in the fact that we know how it is. Or at least, I can. I obviously can't speak for another 8 people.


My main task this year was to decorate our Christmas cake. I went for a penguin theme. Probably mainly because I watched half of Happy Feet a few days before going out to purchase the fondant icing, but also because I just like penguins...even if they have eyes as creepy as my iced penguins... I'm ridiculously proud of my decoration attempts, I even painted the whole thing with edible glitter and made snowballs out of coconut. Cake decorating is a serious thing, you know...


Today has mainly been spent in the living room sitting in the same seat for the majority of the day. I feel a bit like I'm going mental, but I can't figure out if that's because I've been in the house all day, or just because Christmas tends to have this effect on me. As Josh Groban sung, it's always this time of year that my thoughts undo me. 


I'm now just looking forward to the new year. I have a lot I want to sit down and write about it and I'm looking forward to shutting myself off for the world and spending an hour or two writing. It feels like so long since I last did that. But for now, I'm thankful - for family, for the small things, and for tradition. And as Miss Dusty said...



Besos
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment