Sunday 18 December 2011

Jumping on the Glossybox bandwagon

So, my friend Jess and I exchanged Christmas presents last Tuesday during our last Starbucks Tuesday of 2011 (sob sob). She bought me a cute little necklace with a Russian doll on it, a chocolate reindeer and a November Glossybox. She also requested that I 'reviewed' the Glossybox, because according to her I review a lot of things on here (do I...?) So here goes...

In terms of blogging circles, the Glossybox is one of the biggest crazes at the moment. For £12.95 (don't quote me on that, mine was free, remember...) a month, including P+P, you can receive a Glossybox through the post containing several different products. There are many other beauty boxes (Carmine etc), but it seems that this is the brand most talked about. I can't quite figure out why - it's certainly not the cheapest and a lot of people believe other boxes offer a lot more. So why is the Glossybox so appealing? 

Well, for me, there was something quite special about opening it up and finding out what was inside. I know a lot of people were disappointed with the November edition, and I can kind of understand why, but here's my 'review' anyway...


Illamasqua 'Freak' sample
The first product in the box was a sample of Illamasqua's Freak perfume. I like it, I wouldn't necessarily buy the full size bottle though. Lots of people don't like receiving samples as it feels like a bit of a rip off, but considering my box was a gift, I wasn't too bothered at receiving it. There's quite a lot of waffle on the inside about the scent itself - "I am bottled midnight" - that makes it sound rather grand. It also lists the 'top notes', 'heart notes', and 'base notes'. It was nice to receive as a little freebie and I'm wearing it seen as I have it. It's quite a strong scent, but being no perfume expert I have no idea what it perhaps compares to. 


Arbonne FC5 Ultra-Hydrating Hand Creme
As well as the fact that I'm not an expert on perfume, I'm also not a skincare expert. My favourite hand cream is Nails Inc's Kensington caviar hand cream, but my collection isn't exactly extensive. 
What do I like about this product? Well, the smell is quite pleasant. You can, in my opinion (and that of my friend Fern [who also tried it out]), smell the kiwi which gives it a fresh, natural smell.
What don't I like about this product? The one I received was a little battered around the bottom. Not a great first impression at all - take note, Glossybox. I also wasn't a massive fan of the texture, while it seems to do its job and is a good hand cream, it's a little dry for my liking. I definitely wouldn't pay £19.00 for the full size product. My free (was in a free gift set when I spent £40 or more), full size Nails Inc Kensington works much better and is cheaper.


Nail Rock Designer Nail Wraps
Nail wraps are definitely a trend that I haven't jumped on. For me, these are on a par with the new magnetised nail polishes or crackle effect polishes - so many people are doing it that I just don't want to try it myself. However, seen as I received them, I will try them out. I've been advised not to attempt it myself, so Fern (who seems to know a lot about them) and Sarah are coming round to mine some time to do them for me. I'm not a massive animal print fan - again, I think because so many other people are - although I could perhaps try them on my toes...

Monu Skin Perfector
I'm not really sure what the purpose of this product is. I assumed it was a primer, and so used it as one. I'd actually been having a problem with my foundation lasting all day - a typical college day is long and tiring and my face usually shows it by the time 4pm comes around. So, I tried this out one morning (when I actually had the time to add another component to my morning routine) and found that it did help my foundation to stay on. I unfortunately haven't had time to use it again since, but the results of one use were very encouraging and I'm excited to try it again. 

Dead Spa Sea Magik's Dead Sea Bath Salts
(Please excuse the crappy photo - Blogger isn't playing today)
Award winning bath salts, apparently, so I had high expectations.
What do I like about the product? There's no smell, which is always one of my major problems with bath products. The claim to ''alleviate dry skin'' is indeed true. I've had a patch of dry skin on my arm and it certainly improved after just one bath using these salts. The picture to the right shows the colour they turned the water - a sort of light turquoise blue. 
What don't I like about the product? It could have a little scent to it. I know I said I liked that there was no smell, but there's generally always something and there was nothing with this product. I also think the packaging is ridiculous considering it's not a product you use in one go. Plastic bags are not practical at the best of times, let alone for a product with lots of tiny bath salts in it...

So this was my little review of November's Glossybox. Way out of date, I know, but seen as Jess requested it I thought I'd do it anyway.


Have any of you tried out the products yourselves? Leave us a comment with your opinions if so :)


Besos
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment