Tuesday 3 January 2012

Help

"There is so much for each of us to get done and so little time to do it in that we can't possibly do it without help, so we should make space for one another, clear a path to allow those of us through who need a helping hand." - Jon Richardson - It's Not Me, It's You!
I've been reading the book all day (on and off). It's the sort of book that can have you going from quiet reflection to creepy unexpected laughter in a public place in less than a minute. I don't mind that... I just won't repeat today's mistake of reading it in the LRC with three of my friends around... Note: It's not cool to be the girl (or guy) giggling to herself (or himself) while nobody else knows what is so amusing and realising that you've lost most of your dignity.
I posted the above quote as my Facebook status a few minutes ago. I always find it interesting who 'likes' status updates, but that's besides the point. The quote itself spoke to me, and I figured that if it could speak to me, it could perhaps speak to others who had not yet discovered it. I also may, or may not, have been showing friends extracts from the book all day in an attempt to interest them. Aiden joined in with my random LRC laughing for a while, so I'd say it's progress ;)
Our high school motto was 'Together Everyone Achieves More'. I'm sure you've already figured out what that stands for, but if not, it's TEAM. And here's the funny bit, it seemed to be true. Fast forward to college, and there seems to be minimal, if not zero, teamwork. It's such an intense, bleak place sometimes that it's easy to forget there are people who are willing to work together and help others. 
I don't really have a point to this, but it just seems so true. We spend our whole lives walking around being depressed at our own misfortune, missing the fact that there are so many people who need our help more than we need it ourselves. We're onto the schizophrenia topic in Psychology now and every lesson makes me think about people I know. It makes me over-conscious about 'spotting signs' for things - a problem that is probably not helped by the fact that I'm part of the peer counselling team.
Speaking of, we've got our new base now (I think, don't quote me on that). I'm really keen to get some charity days organised, there's a serious lack of that at college and it makes my charitable side sad. But, then, most of me is sad whenever I think about college and that in itself makes me sad. It's odd, then, that today I was quite content to be back in the place that I moan about so frequently. I felt quite lucky to feel like that, if I'm being honest. 
I feel like I'm rambling now, so I'm going to sign off before it starts getting odd. I also have a 10 mark question to finish, which is probably more important in the long run... 
Besos
Rachel 
PS: Happy 2012 everybody :)

No comments:

Post a Comment