Sunday 5 September 2010

Should

I started college on Thursday. It's a little bit odd and the free time is ridiculous in comparison to at school (3 hour lunch break on Friday...jeez!) but so far, it's pretty OK and I'm enjoying it. It has, however, got me thinking about my future, or more specifically, making the most of the present.

I've been going on for ages now about how the 5 years of high school passed stupidly quickly without me even realising or making the most of them. And unfortunately, I can't do anything to change that now. So I want college to be different. I want to thoroughly enjoy my time there, especially as we only have two years then I'll probably be going off to uni and will have to begin becoming a proper adult (scary...)

There are a few factors getting in the way of doing everything I want to. Money being the first, transport being the second, and time being the third. But instead of saying ''oh, we should go to *insert place here* at the weekend'', I think it's about time I actually started doing that. I'm beginning to form a list of things that I will do in the next two years in my head and I've also just finished booking tickets to see a comedian I like in October (front row seats, only £12!) I wanted to go to Tim Minchin with my friend Eliza, but it would be impossible to get back so we can't... However, that doesn't mean that I don't aim to see him within the next few years.

I always have random ideas that I think would be nice to do, but I never actually carry them out. I guess that the whole social environment of college has already affected me. Before I know it, college will be over and I'll have to start taking life a bit more seriously, get a job, really study etc - so why not have fun now, while there aren't as many pressures? Sure, there are AS/A2 Levels, but for the meantime, my education is free and I can afford to do things - I might not be able to do that once I'm at uni or in employment.

We only have a very short period of time at this age to do the things we really want to do while we're still young enough to do them, and I'm pretty sure that once I'm older I'll regret anything I don't do. I mean, why should we settle for only wanting things, why shouldn't we make them happen too?

Anyway, I'll be back later for the next installment of my summer project blog - I'm going to take the rabbit for a walk now (yes, you did read that correctly).

Besos
Rachel


1 comment:

  1. First, good luck at collage and have lots of great time! You are right, make a list of things you want to do, I do that all the time and have faith in your list, even if you can´t complete it all, at least do what is possible right now and most of everything, have fun, even with small things because those small things matter and I am sure you will succeed in both collage and in your list.

    ReplyDelete