Friday 1 October 2010

Friday 16th July - 8:00am, Muškovci

Yesterday morning we all got up and Jacob and I made breakfast. We then made sandwiches and got shouted at by some of the others for being slightly late. It wasn’t our fault though because people were late turning up for breakfast so we couldn’t just get on with lunch until breakfast was totally over. When the bus arrived it was playing Misery by Maroon 5 which cheered up my morning and although I probably shouldn’t have, I stuck around by it until the song was over. We then kayaked down (up?) the Zrmanja River and also to the River Krupa. We stopped for lunch by a beautiful waterfall but there was a problem with the lunch because a barrel containing half of the sandwiches and the crisps hadn’t been brought on a kayak so some people didn’t get sandwiches. Margaret annoyed me again because she ate Joe’s sandwich then tried to tell me that I’d told her to so I was really unimpressed by her. Thankfully, someone from the kayak trip behind us had spotted the barrel, brought it and given it to Slaven so I could hand out the sandwiches about 20 minutes later. I was with Jacob in a kayak and the first part of the journey was relatively smooth however we managed to capsize twice within five minutes during the second part of the journey. Basically, Jemma and Catherine hit a tree and were hanging out of their kayak and even though Jacob paddled backwards, our kayak drifted and hit them. They ended up staying in the kayak and Jacob and I ended up underneath ours. I managed not to panic much but it was hard lifting it off me. It was pretty horrible considering I’m scared of being plunged into water and I ended up having to grip Miss Morris and Mr Parkinson’s kayak while Margaret pulled me back into mine and Jacob’s. My life jacket (that did absolutely nothing to help me float at all…) got stuck though so Joe had to jump out of his kayak and help me again which I was really thankful for. We then capsized again when we hit Chris and Sam who got stuck at the top of a small rapid and again, we ended up in the water and they stayed in their kayak. It was funnier this time though because I ended up just standing on a rock laughing and I think even Slaven was amused by it this time.

We arrived at the campsite relatively quickly so people just relaxed for a few hours in the water and around the table. Most people went jumping off the big waterfall but I stayed at the campsite and bathed my leg in the water because it was stinging from when the boat capsized for the first time and I scraped it on several rocks. Margaret decided to have a go at me because I moved all of the barrels except two - because the other two had belongings on so I didn’t want to move belongings too - and apparently “all of the barrels had to be moved as soon as we arrived” which nobody had actually told us.

Jacob and I cooked tea and I kind of lost the will to live at several points because he had problems cooking the soup (though it was Jacob who was supposed to be doing that anyway...) We also had problems with the spaghetti because our water source is 20 minutes away so everything was slow. Natalie helped calm me down when I was starting to get upset by it all. Some people said they liked it and Miss Morris said it was the best meal we’ve had so hopefully it was worth it. I was proud of myself for cooking from scratch considering the circumstances.

After dinner we discussed what we’ve learnt about ourselves while we’ve been here. I realised that I’ve actually learnt a lot and I feel like I’ve faced a lot of fears that I didn’t think I’d face. I challenged myself with the trekking, kayaking and staying away from home and I feel like I’ve grown in confidence. We also talked about how I was the only girl from my year and Miss Morris talked about how I’ve probably come on the biggest journey because of it.

We all toasted marshmallows around the campfire last night and Slaven played his guitar for a few hours. It was genuinely one of those moments where there was nowhere else I would prefer to be. It made me realise that I’d kind of fallen in love with the idea of a campfire. Today we’re kayaking then going back to the Starigrad campsite then going sightseeing then out for our group meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment