Friday 1 October 2010

Tuesday 13th July - 7:25pm, Mountain hut

I was on a top bunk last night and only Miss Morris and Margaret were as well so it was almost the exact opposite of sleeping in a tent. I was also almost on a proper bed which was a bonus. I woke up one of the earliest so I had chance to gather my thoughts before everybody else got up. I had a horrible chocolate and banana flapjack for breakfast because we were low on breakfast. Never liked banana...

We went trekking up a mountain earlier and I struggled at first but I was definitely better than yesterday although Margaret threatened me with flying home because I asked to stop and open my water bottle. How pathetic is that?! Her attitude towards our team is getting on my nerves so much, she seems to just dislike us a lot. Joe was really supportive this morning and most of the group were amazing. He even made me let him carry my bag for part of the way because he wanted me to be able to get up the mountain. Unlike Margaret, he encouraged me but also made it clear I needed to get on with it, Margaret just tended to shout at me and she wasn’t nice at all. I’m accountant tomorrow with Sam. We had pasta for tea and I got a wash in the stream near the hut. Normally, I’d never do that anywhere…but being here it just felt normal. I went with Catherine and Jemma and literally stood in a stream in my underwear and got washed even though Joe, Oliver and Louis were around somewhere making a dam. I don’t know why but I just didn’t care and it was really liberating.

Slaven has been keeping us sane and entertained - he’s definitely part of our group now and there’s just something about him that draws people to him. He always has really interesting stories to tell and listens to everything we say to him in a way that Margaret doesn’t seem to. I’m chef with Jacob on Thursday and I’m looking forward to having some responsibility because I’ve really missed it to be honest. At the moment I’m sat at a bench with Chris, Sam, Lauren and Jemma discussing the accounting and telling random stories. We’re also moaning and just getting our thoughts out and offloading what’s bothering us. I quite like that we’re doing it because I’ve missed just talking to people like this over the past day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment