Friday 1 October 2010

Wednesday 14th July - 10:31pm, Kaštel Žegarski

Breakfast at the hut this morning was rubbish. Most other people had beanfeast Bolognese but I had a breakfast bar I had leftover from yesterday. I was packed and organised pretty quickly so I had enough time to chill out and just do nothing for a while. Catherine didn’t want her Bolognese so Sam made her eat a bit of a pine cone which was hilarious. I bought three bookmarks for mum, dad and Jude from the stall outside the hut as well.

I walked really well today and didn’t cry or panic at all. Margaret had us playing an aeroplane game before we set off where she sketched a plane on the ground and we had to stand either in the engine, wings, passenger or luggage depending on how we felt we were within the group. I stood between passenger and luggage but Louis said I should be in the engine because of how I got on with it the best I could. It was nice of Louis to say it because it made me believe that I hadn’t just annoyed people which I thought I had and it definitely gave me confidence. I only stopped for stuff like laces or if others stopped too. I was often ahead of others and walking quickly. It was almost a good thing that I struggled so much on the way up because I hadn’t paid attention to the surroundings at all and so the walk down was refreshing and I got to enjoy the sight much more than the others did. When we were walking down one of the parts towards the end, a German woman behind us slipped over and was screaming in pain so me, Jemma, Catherine and Jacob stopped and Catherine went back to see if anybody needed a phone because we could’ve got the satellite phone from Margaret. The man with her who spoke English said they were fine thanks and he rushed off down to get mountain rescue. We met up with everybody else at the shop and chilled out for a while and had ice creams. I bought a bracelet, pens and a keyring.

On the final stretch of path, I was walking with Jacob when we came across Catherine, Jemma and Sam. Jemma said that Catherine was close to fainting and I knew that Jacob felt ill, Sam had already tried to find Margaret and it was impractical for Jemma to go on ahead with her diabetes so I walked on ahead and pushed on hard to the group. It was mostly in the sun with minimal shade and I had no map and my huge bag so it was really tough but I just kept thinking about Catherine and kept going with only two really brief stops for water. There was one point where I could have turned three different ways so I had to just guess and thankfully I picked the right way. I made the journey in about 20 minutes which I’m pretty sure was really good considering. When I reached the group and told them what was happening, Louis and Joe rushed off and ran to them and Miss Morris and Jasmine went off with rehydration sachets. Slaven went off too. I was really disappointed in Margaret because she didn’t even look at me or move when I explained the problem - even though that’s her job as team leader. Ugh! Jacob wants to complain about her, I'm not surprised really...

When we got back to the Starigrad campsite I had to do the shopping with Izzy, Chris, Natalie and Jacob and we got loads of food and stuff that we needed such as cooking equipment. We had way too much food so Jacob and I had to put some back and I think the woman at the till guessed that we were stressed and she knocked some money off the shopping so that we didn’t have to go into Friday’s budget which we would have had to do.

We then got on the buses to the wild campsite. I was on a bus with Jemma, Lauren, Shannon, Jacob, Sam and Margaret and it was a fun journey. Margaret slept for the journey so she stayed out of our fun which I was also glad about. We all had a laugh which was nice because we hadn’t really been doing that.

We’re now at the wild campsite and are going river kayaking tomorrow and will be moving to another new campsite for the evening. At the moment I’m sat round the campfire with Lauren, Chris, Jacob, Jemma, Joe, Oliver and Shannon and I’m listening to my iPod while Joe is killing ants and Shannon is trying to carve her name into the bench. Natalie has been throwing up all evening so I ended up helping her and Chris with tea because she didn’t do much. Margaret left us to it this evening so Izzy led the meeting and it was much more relaxed without her there. Catherine can’t sleep because Jasmine’s bag has leaked and her stuff is wet. Everybody seems to be getting along well and mum sent me a text saying “Dad says you are a star” after I texted them about the Catherine thing. We have proper toilets here which we haven’t had at the mountain hut so people are in a better mood about that. I’m glad we do because the toilets at the hut were never clean and the smell made people feel sick towards the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment