Thursday 2 December 2010

Sociedad

[Sociedad = society in Spanish]

'Sociedad' is a word that I have read and written repeatedly for easily over an hour now. I thought I'd better do something productive before college finally re-opens tomorrow (I have Spanish first, go figure...) I decided to do some more work on my oral exam preparation and write the remainder of my answers for the 'Music and Fashion' section. Never. Again.

The music questions were fine, they were varied enough to be able to write different, decent answers to each. The fashion ones? Ay! They were all pretty much the same, but I still had to write a paragraph on each. I'd have been fine if I'd ignored the answer criteria and just written, but because I had to include different tenses, I'd have already answered #4 in one of the previous questions so I had to repeat myself or make something up. I still have the technology and relationships sections to write about. Technology isn't too bad, it's a bit repetitive but at least the general topic area doesn't make me want to hit something/shout at someone. It's a start, right?

I found a Facebook group for Media students at my college. I was firstly amused at the fact it only had 27 members (and only 2 'admins' even though there are 4 teachers...3 of whom definitely having Facebook accounts), and then annoyed when I saw a post by Paul, my theory teacher, giving info on what we should/could do while we've been off. Why he couldn't have sent it via college email...which is how communication generally always is...I don't know. Bless him for trying though, he even commented on how pointless it probably was due to the majority (if not all) of the members being students that have now left. Gotta admire him for trying. His display pic is also majorly amusing.

I did get to meet up with Becky today. She ended up sledging down a hill near my house on a ripped charity bag. I was useless at it so I gave up after a while. Anyway, getting back on the topic of 'sociedad', two things really annoyed me today: the first being the fact that nobody who lives on my street cleared any snow so we could get cars out...except my family...the second being the thoroughly selfish attitude of people I know. I can't be bothered explaining the first annoyance any further, I've never pretended to like the people I live near so it's no surprise that they're annoying me once again.

The second annoyance really, really wound me up. It most probably shouldn't, but it did. It's been forming for a few days now, but today it finally got to me... I can't stand hearing or reading all of these pathetically selfish comments about schools and colleges opening tomorrow. Everytime I read a status on Facebook or a tweet on Twitter where somebody is actually criticising them for opening tomorrow if possible, I want to scream. Somebody in year ten at my old school actually uploaded a picture of the school and a member of staff with a spade clearing snow to Facebook earlier. The caption? "DOES THIS MEAN THERE'S SCHOOL TOMORROW?!" I'm sorry, but it's hardly breaking news, is it? Someone actually commented on the picture with: "
who is that with the fricking shovel? they are desperate arnt they!? x" Firstly, it's just a shovel, not a ''fricking shovel'', secondly, I'd like the people being so lazy to have to be the ones clearing the snow. I walked past the school early this afternoon and there was only the Acting Head there. That's it. Why the hell can't people be thankful and grateful that people are working so hard to do something good for them? I'm pretty sure most teachers would like another day off, but they have to go and work...and so do we. That's just how it is.

I'm sorry if you're reading this and you are one of those people, it just really winds me up how the vast majority of people my age see their teachers as their enemies. It's a mentality I have never understood and, quite frankly, I hope that I never do. I like being the sort of person who appreciates the lengths people go to and have gone to for me. There's nothing wrong with that, but there is with being selfish...

And now my rant for the day is over, I'm going to tidy up all this Spanish stuff and get a shower. Buenas noches.

Besos
Rachel


"You've got rise, don't just stand there open your eyes, shame, shame, shame on you." - Rise - Ben's Brother

PS: Looks like I'll be able to go to Mark Watson on Saturday after all. And I haven't even picked up my Psychology textbook (as mentioned in yesterday's post), someone can set me some work if they want me to catch up - I'm not guessing which topics we'll be covering and hoping I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment