Saturday 12 February 2011

ESC season has begun!

Yes, Eurovision season has officially begun, which means it's time for my first mini review of the songs already selected.

Armenia: Aurela Gaçe - Kënga ime
One of the first songs selected for this year's contest, and I still can't decide whether I like it or hate it. It somehow just doesn't seem to match its singer. It picks up a bit more towards the end, making it a little more likeable, but I've got a feeling it definitely won't be one of my favourites.

Finland: Paradise Oskar - Da Da Dam
For some reason I ended up paying close attention to Euroviisut this year. I preferred Father McKenzie, but I don't mind this one at all. There's an obvious British influence to this song, which should make it popular over here. Perhaps influenced by Lena? Either way, I think I'll get to like this one after a few more listens. 

Switzerland: Anna Rossinelli - In Love For a While
Another early selection for Switzerland, and definitely a vast improvement on their entry last year (Michael von der Heide - Il pleut de l'or). For some reason she reminds me a little of Anna Bergendahl crossed with Lena (I'm guessing Lena is a big influence this year...) It's definitely catchy and an early entry that I liked the first time I heard it. She's got a strong live voice, but whether it will carry to the ESC stage remains to be seen.

Ireland: Jedward - Lipstick
Do not even get me started on how much hatred I have for Jedward. Seriously, I could be here all week ranting about how hideous I find them. But, the song? Well, it wouldn't be bad if, and this is a big one, they could actually sing it. It would also be better if the stage performance hadn't been a kind of mash up of X Factor rejects. The sad thing is: they'll probably be well liked...but then completely fail on the ESC stage because they couldn't even manage the Late Late Show stage properly. What a shame that Ireland and the UK can't vote in their semi final...

Romania: Hotel FM - Change
I like it, but in that very safe ESC song way. Reminiscent of Simon Mathew - All Night Long, somehow. What's good/likeable about this song is that it very much captures the 'cheesy' aspect of ESC that it's famous for. Perhaps not up to the standards that have slowly been changed over the last few years, but nevertheless a very safe, catchy song.  


I missed Destino Eurovisión last night, but apparently Auryn made it through (= happy me). And now for Iceland...
 
Besos
Rachel






1 comment:

  1. I'm listening to Finland's now, i'm gonna attempt to learn the song

    ReplyDelete