Sunday 6 February 2011

Just

I write this as things are, as hinted at in my title, 'just' OK. I don't even really have a purpose to writing this except for the fact that I just wrote my article on completed TYSICs for The Watsonian Yearly Review and recapped all of my TYSICs in the process...realising I should probably blog a bit more.

Things aren't bad at the moment, which is welcome relief. This week is week three of teaching Beginners' Spanish and I'd say I probably actually have learnt something from it so far, which is quite nice to know. It's also making me enjoy Spanish overall much more...which was desperately needed after the way it was before the Christmas holidays. I did just have to write an essay on 'Los Deportes En La Televisión' - possibly the dullest essay topic anyone could ever give me, I think I managed though. I'm also in Ester's good books after mentioning that I watched TVE last Friday (and this Friday, too) which is again quite nice...she hasn't said anything weird to me in a while, though she does keep referring to her attempts at learning Arabic as if we should all be learning Arabic as well.

Having said that, I am trying to learn some Swedish which is proving both easier than expected and amusing. My friend Eliza is also doing the same, so it's amusing when we try and talk to each other using the few words and phrases we can pronounce. We can swear at each other in Croatian (kopile) and Finnish (nuppi pään) though...and we're working on Swedish. We seem to mainly discuss it in the bus queue which probably isn't wise, but at least it's amusing. I did have ''will you marry me?'' memorised but I can't remember all of it now. We were also helping our friend Eleanor with her Russian-learning for her CoPE project, and it stuck me how many languages use a variant of '
до свидания' (do svidaniya) - Polish is very similar, as is Croatian.

Speaking of Polish, I am/probably am going to Poland this summer with college. Every year, the Psychology/RS departments run their 'subject extension day(s)' to Poland with a visit to Auschwitz. I'm going to pay the deposit tomorrow which ultimately secures my place on the trip. My friends Sarah and Talor also intend to go so I'm hoping we all get our deposits paid quickly so we can all go :)

And now I've come to the end of my very random post, I probably should have given it a different name, but never mind.

Besos
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment