Friday 25 February 2011

Las Vacaciones

I've been ill for about two weeks now. Not bad ill, but enough to make me want to just sleep forever and not leave the house, which is handy because it's been half term ('las vacaciones'...) so I've had all week off :)

I never seem to have a point to anything when I write blog posts anymore. College seems to suck the life out of anything. In a way, that's good I suppose because I don't have much time to think about things during the week and I'm always busy at weekends, so I never end up overthinking anything or getting bothered by stuff.

College finally feels normal, properly normal. It's kind of nice because I'm at that point where I'm so OK with things that I can actually appreciate them better. Like last Thursday, I had an interview for something college-related but I didn't get it. My tutor then tried to convince me it was his fault because he helped me with my application - small things like that make college a lot more bearable. We also had a nice conversation about tolerance last Tuesday. It's good that I can talk to my teachers about stuff.


I tried learning some Swedish tenses on Monday. I drew up a verb grid and copied out some nouns, prepositions etc so that I'd be able to form sentences with the tenses. It's not actually that hard, just a bit confusing how there are two groups of verbs and then the irregulars as well. They're easy to form though, group one verbs basically have an 'r' added to the end (e.g. 'att tala' is 'to speak' but becomes 'jag talar' to mean 'I speak') while group two have the 'a' removed and 'er' added (e.g. 'att heta' meaning something along the lines of 'to have the name' becomes 'jag heter' to mean 'I am called' or 'my name is'. I've found that it's a lot easier to deal with tenses in foreign languages when you already speak a second language. It also helps that the verbs are like Spanish ones in reverse. I'm itching to 'randomly drop it into conversation' with my Spanish teacher to see what she'd say...though it'd probably be something about the fact that she's learning Arabic. She likes telling us that...


I've also been listening to Jack Johnson a lot this week and have therefore suddenly got back into Hawaiian. I'd been desperate to know what he says at the end of Angel/Better Together on the En Concert album...and last night I figured it out thanks to http://www.alohafriendsluau.com/words.html - turns out he says 'mahalo nui loa' which means 'thank you very much'. I also learnt 'me ke aloha' which means 'with love'.


Last night, I edited together the Amnesty Group video and uploaded a few others from the Burmese Festival campaign we did on Wednesday 16th. The main video can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBtPalRHhS0 

Besos
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment