Tuesday 13 April 2010

Coincidences and Eurovision

I don't have much to say today, so I won't spend ages boring you with "well yesterday I went to the supermarket" or "I woke up late today and didn't do much". Despite this though, I felt I owed a new post and I also have something silly and irrelevant to get off my chest.

Tuesday 6th April was a bizarre day for me. It was the one year anniversary of the day a friend and I went to see James Morrison live in Sheffield. I can't quite put my finger on what was bizarre about the fact that it had been a year but it just felt that way. Anyway, I think I went into Leeds for the day with family that day, and I was in Hobbycraft when a song came on. But not just any song, You Make It Real by James Morrison. And I'm not even exaggerating, I just completely stopped when I realised which song it was. The song doesn't hold much personal signifiance for me, but it was just a complete coincidence and it was one that almost floored me emotionally. I didn't cry though, so it's all good. I made all of that sound like it was a bad experience, but I don't think it was really. It was a surprisingly pleasant thing to experience and while it may not make much sense to anybody except me, I think I kind of liked it.

And now for the second coincidence of the past week. It's no secret that I'm ridiculously obsessed with the Eurovision Song Contest. In the words of my friend Eliza, it's my guilty pleasure that I'm not guilty about. I always try not to listen to the entries on YouTube but I always fail and end up doing so. This year I held out until a few days ago though, so at least I beat my personal record... Anyway, I found a song I really loved (Life Looks Better in Spring - Jon Lilygreen and The Islanders) and was thinking about it and decided to look up which semi final it would be in. It turns out that it's in the second semi final (irrelevent really)...but also that it's song 14...which is highly relevant to me because 14 is my favourite number. I don't know why and it's not even like it's a lucky number or anything, but for some reason it's my favourite number and I always thought there must be some significance behind it. I suppose that this song makes it significant. That was another coincidence that made me just stop for a moment and realise it. As if that wasn't creepy enough, I just realised something else. The 2008 winner, Dima Bilan, was number 18 in his semi final - that was the song I wanted to win and 18 is what I'd call my 'lucky' number, as it's my birthday.

To be honest, I don't know why I felt the need to get all of that off my chest but I feel better for it. Does anyone else ever feel like that? Where you're somehow 'inspired' by the strangest of things? In other news, I have a new feature towards the bottom of my left-hand sidebar where other blogs can be advertised (preferably in exchange for mine advertised on theirs, but not too fussed). You can check out my friend Aiden's cooking blog by clicking the graphic and if you're interested, leave me a comment and I'll see what I can do :)

Besos
Rachel


PS: Because I forgot the first time I tried posting this, here are a few links to other songs I like for ESC this year :)
3+2 - Butterflies (Belarus)
Sofia Nizharadze - Shine (Georgia)
Jessy Matador - Allez, Ola, Ole (France)
Tom Dice - Me and My Guitar (Belgium)
Let me know what you think to them all :)

3 comments:

  1. It's weird how coincidences can happen like that, it's always fascinated me how completely random, separate things can come together in a way that only you see the significance of.
    I'm glad you weren't upset in Hobbycraft Rach =] and I think it's a good sign that you're getting over the situation that's been bothering you for the past few months *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. i notice the finnish one isnt liked by you, is it for the description or the fact its terrible ? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Er, can I phone a friend on that one? I don't mind it, 'cause it's typical Eurovision. But I don't like it or hate it either way really.

    ReplyDelete