Sunday 4 April 2010

Ocultar - To Hide

I wish I could just tell a story about playing hide and seek, it would make things so much simpler than they actually are. Well, I say that like things are incredibly messed up, they're not at all (anymore). But for once, I'm not writing about my own problem. I'm actually writing about the problems of others (and one person in particular).

I remember very clearly being in Y7 and being threatened via MSN by somebody's sister that she would ''smash my face in with an iron'' if I ''said something again''. I still have no idea what I supposedly said, but I do still remember how ridiculous the whole thing was. I also remember sitting on the stairs and crying...yeah...great.

Anyway, you're probably wondering what this has to do with my title of 'Hiding'. I suppose it mostly comes from the fact that the girl who said those things was hiding...hiding behind her computer, hiding behind the fact that she was typing to another computer, hiding behing the fact that we'd never, ever, spoken to eachother in real life. Which is what winds me up so much.

It's too easy for people to hide behind their computer and be vile to others.
And it's also too easy to brush them off as being cowardly and pathetic.

I'm not trying to say that people who make petty threats via the internet can in any way justify their actions, because I don't really think they can. To me, if you mess up, you mess up - you can't cover it up with excuses because either way, you still did it and it's still your fault. But seriously, you have to wonder how messed up some people really are, if the only way they can express their dislike of people is over the internet. Better still, not even directly to those they dislike.

I guess I don't understand it because I do understand that if I need to sort something out in person, I will. But it seems that way too many people of my age enjoy hiding behind their computer screen instead of being honest and realistic. The only reasoning behind any of this that I can see would be that they have a lot of insecurities towards confronting their own emotions, and also a lot of insecurities towards their peers. Back in Y7, I think I'm probably guilty of the second one, but I don't recall ever 'threatening' someone online because I was too scared to do it in person. This post definitely seems to link in with another recent post of mine, Affirmation, so if you're wanting the bigger picture it would probably make most sense to hop on over to that and give it a quick read (and of course, a comment :P)

So, I'm definitely going to try and be nothing but honest on here from now on, no hiding behind an on-screen persona or any of that.

And lastly, just a quick update on the blog redesign. I've also changed the sidebar on the left hand side and it now contains a few pictures, two taken by myself with my dad's camera and the others made to fit the blog's graphics featuring song lyrics that can be found here (Silencio - Nelly Furtado & Josh Groban), here (Primavera Anticipada - Laura Pausini & James Blunt) and here (Lloro Por Ti - Enrique Iglesias). As always, let me know what you think to the songs and of course, leave any suggestions you have for music you want me to listen to. I'll give anything you suggest a listen :)

I also have one final request before I go, and it may seem a bit strange but here goes anyway. I'm a HUGE fan of comedian/writer Mark Watson, and have been following his blog (and indeed participating in his TYSIC by trying to be more optimistic) since he properly began it in January. He recently posted about basically trying to help those who read his blog by opening his comments up to people asking for help with their problems. And after having mine answered (thank you Mark!) I decided I want to try and do the same. I'm definitely not trying to claim I'm amazing at giving advice and that all of your problems will be solved if I answer them, but it's worth a shot and I like to think I'm pretty good at helping people deal with things like that. So, no matter how big or small, please feel free to leave your problem in a comment and I'll try my absolute best to get back to you in a post in a few days.

Besos
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. very very true what you said in paragraphs 4,5 & 6

    ReplyDelete
  2. People seens to be cowards and mean, specially behind the PC. You are a nice and sweet person, very oplite and intelligent and a fine friend I have the luck to meet and it´s horrible, specially when it affects us. I´m sorry to hear about it dea, I really am.

    ReplyDelete