Thursday 22 April 2010

Fundraising and TYSIC

This may come as quite a surprise but for once, I actually have nothing to complain about on here. Shocker, right? Today marked the end of one very long, very tedious, very emotionally hard journey for me: I raised the last £6 of my World Challenge money.

Since January 31st 2009, I have been trying to raise £1095 to go on an expedition to Croatia with 14 other pupils from my school in July of this year. I started with huge amounts of enthusiasm, creating a long list of fundraising ideas I could use and even taking my fundraising folder out with me when I went out for dinner to continue my list. Truth be told, I didn't use it after the first few weeks.

The whole process of raising money has been an emotional one, or at least it has for me. I've had many unfortunate dealings with members of staff and fellow World Challengers that have, quite frankly, left me in floods of tears. But, and this is a big 'but', I have finally raised all of the money needed for the payments and at the beginning of May, I will be able to pay my final £320. I'd still be trying to find a way to raise the final £6 if it wasn't for the awesome generosity of my form tutor (known affectionately to us as 'Ms C') and another maths teacher (known to...everyone...as Mr Price). I know you can't read this...but thank you! :)

And all of that brings me onto the second part of this blog...the TYSIC. I think I mentioned it in a previous post, but I'm not sure. Basically, I'm taking part in comedian Mark Watson's 'Ten Year Self Improvement Challenge'. It's not like you get a medal or anything for participating, the clue is in the title - it's about improving yourself. My personal objectives are the following:
- Stop looking so deeply into things people do/say to me that seem 'bad'...because they're most often not.
- Stop panicking and stressing out over exams and school work (will change to college work in September then hopefully university then hopefully just over work in general).

I was thinking about all of this while walking home after school. I had a conversation with my head of year and then my form tutor about work and my form tutor was talking to me about how much I panic. As I was walking home, I realised that I have been panicking WAY too much over final exams. So the TYSIC hasn't quite started well in that respect, but I realised it and I want to change it, which is a good basis for attempting it. So I feel good about that, even though I haven't done much towards it so far.

In other (non) interesting news from my life, I bought my first full foreign language album the other day. It's in Greek, so I only understand about 5 words out of all of the songs, but I still love all of the songs on it regardless. I was also amused by one of my two PE teachers shouting ''do it with knobs on" rather loudly in the middle of our lesson today. Gotta love teachers. That's about it for today, will hopefully be able to update on the TYSIC in the next few weeks at least.

Besos
Rachel


1 comment:

  1. everyone's entitled to slip up a few times when they affirm to change their outlook on life =P what matters is how you feel about it, if it's having a good impact and if you're sticking to it on the whole. I'm also really, really psyched for you because you raised all of your world challenge money, you should be phenomenally proud of yourself :P

    ReplyDelete