Tuesday 25 May 2010

I am Sharing the Moment

Tonight was the first of two semi finals for the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest. I was thrilled to check my blog after it ended and see I'd had three Norwegian visitors - as Norway are this years host country. God kveld to you guys, whoever you are, your country put on an excellent show tonight :)

This evening was fun firstly because of the songs/artists/show put on at the Telenor Arena over in Norway/Oslo, however also because I was tweeting while watching the show and it was fun reading the tweets made by fellow ESC fans. There's always a great sense of community on Twitter during occasions like this, I love that :)

I'm also pleased as my three favourite entrants (Belarus, Belgium and Greece) made it into the final, and it seems that they're all much more well liked than people seem to be letting on, which makes me happy. I didn't particularly hate any of the qualifiers this year, which is good. I was amused by Serbia's entry, however I think ''ovo je balkan, ovo je balkan, ovo je..." will be going round my head from now until at least Saturday. Russia's entry is slowly growing on me - I'm viewing it this way: nothing can be more strange or dull than last year's entry in my eyes... Tonight was the first time I heard Moldova's entry, it was a bit odd but I liked the lit-up violin and it could have been much worse. I'm kind of glad that Bosnia and Herzegovina got through, as they're at least something different for the final on Saturday. Tom Dice looked incredibly nervous when they were announcing the results (as did I, probably...) but I'm insanely happy that he got through, and his blue guitar was incredibly cute :) I already have Juliana Pasha's song for Albania in my head, and I was singing it as I went downstairs a few minutes ago. ESC songs have a habit of sticking in my head for a VERY LONG TIME. Oh dear... I'm also insanely happy that Greece's entry got through as now I can walk around all week shouting ''OPAAAAAAA!'' at people and not be considered strange (well, maybe). I was shocked that Portugal got through, as I thought their entry was a bit dull to be honest - that, and she sounded like she was making some words up as she sung it. I loved the Belarussian entry, and I'm pleased that one got through too :) The butterfly wings were, well, a shock? They were OK, but they were also quite funny and distracted from the song. If the singers had turned into butterflies like in the video, they'd be guaranteed first place on Saturday... Finally there was Iceland. The singer, Hera Bjork, looks a bit like Chiara from last year. I found it slightly odd how she sung in two languages that aren't official ones for her country, but they are the ones spoken by the presenters so I suppose it works.

For the semi final on Thursday, I'm hoping that the following get through:
Israel - Harel Skaat - Milim (think I'm slightly in love with this man...)
Ireland - Niamh Kavanagh - It's for You (good old soppy love song)
Bulgaria - Miro - Angel si ti (he's following me on Twitter, how could you not support this man?!)
Cyprus - Jon Lilygreen and The Islanders - Life Looks Better in Spring (happy, happy, happy)
Georgia - Sopho (Sofia?) Nizharadze - Shine (another soppy one, but I love it anyway)

I also found myself ''sharing the moment'' earlier when I learnt that my friend and I had sat the same hideous English Literature exam this morning. Pretty dull news, I know, but it cheered me up for some unknown and probably bizarre reason. I'm also pretty sure I spotted a grammatical error in the text given to us this morning, oh well. Join me again either tomorrow (for something less ESC-ish) or Thursday (for something very ESC-ish) :D

Besos
Rachel

6 comments:

  1. Looks a very good program. We don´t have this type of thing here, just the same old American Idol type of contest called Idols. Once again, your blog is very international, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed. You could watch it through the official website if you wanted: http://www.eurovision.tv/esctv/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So as well as your Belgian Boy you've got an Israeli...guy...(I can't think of an alliterative adjective, sorry!)
    Israel's entry is a good one though, so i hope they go through =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, but the Belgian Boy isn't good looking, whereas the Israeli Guy is ;) They can both sing though, which is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete