Friday 14 May 2010

Vanity

Hola everybody :) It's been a while since my last post and I figured I should probably try and fit one in before my life kind of erupts next Wednesday, especially as I have a busy weekend ahead. Today was my last ever English Literature lesson and we studied a poem called 'Mirror' by Sylvia Plath. I should point out now that I am in no way a fan of hers. As strong as it sounds, she seems to represent many things that I detest about life. That, and the fact that my English teacher seems to only ever show us poems by her - it drives me mad, as I don't particularly think she's a genius or anything. Yes, I really did just say that.

The poem made sense though. My friend Aiden brought up a point that I had been exploring within the bounds of my own mind, however unlike me, he was confident enough to share it with the class (bearing in mind that it's tough to get a word in edgeways in our class as 'class discussion' is pretty much just four people having a conversation together, the rest of us sleeping). He suggested that the poem was about vanity, which is exactly what I had been thinking. The fact that we were in our English class made it all the more ironic, as I often feel that our English lessons are very much about who is the most vain.

People my age most definitely are vain. We're probably the most vain generation currently living, as most people my age rely on their looks and their looks alone to get them through life. I'm not just talking about physical vanity, though, I'm also talking about mental vanity.

The sort of vanity that relies on one person being thick, and the other being ridiculously intelligent.

The sort of vanity that rears its ugly head when one person disagrees with one tiny, tiny point that another person agrees with.

The sort of vanity that happens when one person genuinely believes they are better than so many others in every single way.

Unfortunately, many people my age are like that. You get used to it after a while, or at least I did. You become accustomed to refraining from making that comment because it's simply too stupid to make it, then have somebody give you a million and one reasons why you're an idiot to think that way. I know I won't miss that when I leave and go to college, I'm counting on my belief that my personality will be much more free than it has been in high school. The ridiculous competition to always be perfect and the best out of all your peers is already wearing off in year eleven, but not enough. I hope that in college, I'll be surrounded by people that are at least a tiny bit like-minded to me.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. I have buns to go and make for a charity fundraiser tomorrow (thrown by the fabulously charitable Eliza) and I need to wash, dry and straighten my hair (which takes much longer than it should). I also had another injection today, and my arm is now starting to resemble a pin cushion (and probably feels a bit like one too...)

Besos
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment