Saturday 2 April 2011

42 Days

Yes, as of today, it's only 42 days until ESC 2011 :) This morning, I noticed the album is available for pre-order on iTunes...I'm loving the previews :)

So, to mark today (not that it's that momentous or anything...) here are my top 10 for this year....


10. Greece: Loukas Giorkas feat. Stereo Mike - Watch My Dance 
OK, so you are all officially allowed to call me insane. I don't know why, or how it was possible, but this has grown on me a lot. I don't know whether it's because it's just SO different or because it's got Greek in it, but I like it. It's still the weirdest Greek entry I've ever heard, but for some reason I just seem to like it. 

9. Russia: Alexey Vorobyov - Get You 
Russia's entry last year was weird, it was hideous the year before, I wasn't holding out much hope for this year. It's nice to see that they've gone for something upbeat, the past two years have been so dreary and it was a bit like they were stuck in a rut. This is much faster and a lot less depressing, plus it's catchy. 
8. Croatia: Daria - Celebrate
It sounds like the sort of song I heard in Plodine at Benkovac last summer, so I like it partly for sentimental reasons (even though it didn't exist then, but whatever...) Again, it's upbeat and the lyrics are pretty feelgood ('celebrate' speaks for itself really, doesn't it?)
7. Spain: Lucía Pérez - Que me quiten lo bailao
I still wanted Auryn to win. Brushing that bitterness aside, I do like this song, and Lucía is the strongest of all of the Destino Eurovision contenders. I am biased because I can understand the song, but, again, it's upbeat and it's fun. It's hopefully not going to have the slightly creepy element to it that last year's entry did, though I fear it'll get lost amongst the REALLY strong entries this year.
6. Estonia: Getter Jaani - Rockefeller Street
Oh, I hate that I like this song. There are so many things about it that make me wish I could hate it, there are some seriously dodgy bits and overall, it's probably not all that good. But it's SO damn catchy. I find it going round my head so many times just randomly, ugh. As much as I hate to admit it, I do quite like it, yet at the same time, I do feel like it had the potential to be so much better. Hmm, tricky one.
5. Poland: Magdalena Tul - Jestem
Unlike last year, it's not weird and it sounds a lot more professional than so many of this year's entries. I don't have many reasons for liking this, and I am biased because I'm ridiculously excited about going to Poland in June. 
4. Norway: Stella Mwangi - Haba Haba
Love this song, it's so addictive. It makes me want to dance around like Allez Ola Ole did last year. The recorded version is a bit naff, it loses the 'spark' it has on stage. I love the fact that African influences are so obviously present, it makes it a bit different - something Norway clearly likes as they won with their different entry of Alexander Rybak.
3. United Kingdom: Blue - I Can
Still cannot even express how happy I am that the UK has a good entry this year. I can actually feel proud of my country for something, wow, that makes a change. Anyway, I love this song, again, it's addictive and it's also very catchy. It has the 'we can do it' theme of Jade in 2009, only this time without the obvious attempt at getting votes by including Andrew Lloyd Webber. I really hope the UK gets behind this song and takes it seriously.
2. Sweden: Eric Saade - Popular
Those that know me well will be surprised that this hasn't made 1st place. It's probably joint first place, to be honest, but there's something about my first place song that is just a bit different. Anyway, I love Eric Saade (can't take the guy seriously at all, but love him nonetheless) and I love this song. It's got more international appeal than Manboy did, and after people saw him last year he might me recognised easier. Another that I REALLY hope does well but I'm slightly scared that it probably won't. 
1. Denmark: A Friend In London - New Tomorrow
I adore this song, I really do. Scandinavian countries are always quite strong, and I really wish I knew why... Anyway, I firstly LOVE the lyrics of this song because I can relate to them quite well, secondly, it's such an easy-going song, and it has obvious Britpop influences that I like. I can listen to this song for hours on repeat.


So, there we have it, my top ten. Please feel free to leave your own in the comments, I'm dying to know who features in everybody else's top ten :)


Besos
Rachel 



PS: Happy Birthday to my brother, Daniel, who is 13 today :)
PPS: Apologies about the stupid line spacing, have no idea what that's all about...

2 comments:

  1. Hungary?

    Good to see you have the UK high up there - but yes, you are mad - Greece is awful.

    ReplyDelete