Tuesday 19 April 2011

Jewellery #2

Morning everyone :) It's so nice being able to blog during the day rather than last thing at night :) Anyway, here's the second installment of my jewellery making posts.

Firstly, here's the neck shot of the 'college' necklace I posted about yesterday. I took this just to show you the length of the chain mainly. I chose to wear my Russian style shirt today, and it's red, so the necklace matches it, though it still looks fine and nice with clothes that aren't red or don't have red on them. I might stay away from green clothes though... ;)

The pendant hangs really nicely, unlike sometimes when the jump rings get caught around the chain and the pendant can't move about. There's nothing worse than getting the pendant stuck halfway round your neck and not being able to move it...
Right. Now onto today's post. Firstly, a really cool and simple way of making your own rings. Admittedly, I've only done this once, but I'll be making another for when I do my tutorial post. I made this ring about two months ago. I had some Croatian currency left over from my trip and I wanted to get a coin put onto a necklace, but I couldn't figure out how I'd do that. So, instead, it's now on a ring :) It was simple to make, just a ring with a ring back and some superglue et voila :) I don't wear it much, because I don't really wear rings all that much, but I like wearing it when I wear my Greek necklace...

I told you all yesterday about the Greek coins I bought in Yum Yum Beads in Leeds, and this is one of the silver ones (the one you saw yesterday was copper/bronze) - I really don't know why I made this to be honest. Like with the charm bracelet, I think it was because I was trying to teach myself basic Greek. 

I wore this necklace every day all the way through my GCSE exams, I think I got a bit superstitious about it to be honest. Anyway, I added some little seed beads in the colours of the Greek flag as well as the little pottery bead. This also sits really well around the neck when worn, and I love it although it's probably not to everybody's tastes. I absolutely love jewellery that's themed around different languages, countries or cultures, and this is one of my favourites...

This necklace is another that I made and absolutely LOVE. The charm/pendant is from My Vintage Charms and is so cute :) It's also perfect for me because of all of the languages on it. I think I wore this to my GCSE Spanish oral because it says good luck in Spanish on it, haha :) 

I put this on a longer chain, so it reaches my stomach, it would probably look really out of place and odd on a shorter chain that is higher up...plus this way I can still wear a shorter necklace with it too :) Just a little piece of advice: it's important to make sure the chain is strong enough to hold the charm up, this pendant is quite heavy in comparison to others that I've used so I had to use a chain that already had a pendant on it...luckily I never wore it so it wasn't a great loss, haha :)

Right, here is a necklace I really love but never wear. I talked yesterday about taking charms off my Croatia hat, well, this necklace was around the rim of the hat, and I just untied it and it's now a necklace :) 

I never wear it because it never matches anything in my wardrobe, plus I don't want to get it wet because it will take forever to dry again. It has a lot of personal significance, it went up a mountain with me, across the sea, down rivers, down waterfalls, it sat around a campfire with me while the group toasted marshmallows... I probably don't wanna wear it either, because I'm scared of ruining or damaging it. One day I'll pluck up the courage to wear it... haha ;) It does sit nicely around the neck in a circular shape though.


OK, and finally, beads! There are SO many ways of using beads, and these two examples are literally just two, there are tons more that I have done and I might stick a few pictures up on here between this and the tutorial/how-to post to demonstrate. 

The first bracelet you can see is made on Peruvian leather, purchased from Quipu Crafts in Weymouth. The umbrella, love heart, clover and dash beads are also all from Quipu and are genuine Peruvian beads. I spent hours in that shop, and trust me, it's not very big :) I made a few bracelets like this and, as you may remember from yesterday's post, the second of my Croatian heart charms is on this bracelet too :)

The second bunch of bracelets relate to this post. I wear the 'Jayus' one every day (usually, I'm not wearing it today though) - and the other two are cool words that I like. I'm posting about these because they're just beaded bracelets
made on elastic, the other simple way of making bracelets. The alphabet beads are from Hobbycraft - made by Beads Unlimited - while the remaining beads are pretty much all from Yum Yum Beads, a few I'll have taken off other bracelets and used on here but most are YYB ones.

It may be a few days before the tutorial/how-to jewellery making guide, I'm going to make some new pieces and get photographs, but it'll obviously take a while if I'm making everything from scratch. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment :)

Besos
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment