Wednesday 2 June 2010

Stop this masquerade, no one can win

^ Eric Saade lyrics, before you ask. They make sense though, particularly if I apply them to the ridiculously long list of people in my year who seem to have had their ability to be themselves surgically removed...

I swear that everytime I sign into Facebook the people on my 'friends' list have just got more and more arrogant. One girl was complaining about Coronation Street being cancelled due to the Cumbria shootings earlier, and you just kind of go ''Seriously? 12 people DIED today and all you can do is moan about a TV show being cancelled because of it?''

People my age bang on about how older generations view us as being just basically a horrible generation of people, but I can genuinely see why people would view us this way. If half of the people I knew actually stopped to take a look at the world for even just a few seconds, I think even they would be surprised at how selfish and self-obsessed our generation (as a whole) is. All people my age care about is getting drunk, sleeping around and having a ridiculously large contacts list in their phone - probably in that order too.

And it's not even like most people are capable of being individuals either, most people I know have absolutely no individuality or anything that makes them in any way unique. What gets me the most, though, is that they all pretend that they do. It seems that my generation is the 'indie' generation, which is ironic as there's nothing 'independent' about any of the people I know that like to think they are.

They all go on about how individual and cool they aren't, yet in their heads they're all clearly going ''Oh, I just went to a gig, I'm so cool" and "I didn't really get drunk last night, I just pretended, but it makes me seem cooler that I did pretend". Doesn't it just make you want to SCREAM?!

I read the blog of one girl my age (I don't know her though, thankfully...) who described herself as being ''the ultimate European'' because she has lived in Germany and likes taking drugs. She seems like the sort of person that spends 99.9% of her time talking about herself and the other 0.1% listening to others talk about her too. Why do people my age think that they're the 'ultimate' anything. We've barely lived in comparison to, what, 75% of the population? It's ridiculous. Why can't people just accept the here and now? Why can't we just live for ourselves and not for the 'benefit' of others?

I realise that was more of a rant than a proper post, it's just something that's really been winding me up recently. I'm one of the 5% of people of my age that really couldn't care less about what my 'peer's think of me. And for the record, I don't have a ridiculously large contacts list in my phone and I've never got drunk at somebody's 'house party'. Just so you know...

Does anybody else ever feel like this? A bit like you're the only one in the whole world who isn't interested in impressing people that you won't remember in a few years' time? I suppose I'd be described as naive, but I'm one of the few people that disagree with the idea that ''good people get forgotten'' while ''bad people get remembered''. I remember people that have done good for/to me or those close to me rather than those that have done bad. I'd hope that people might remember me for those same reasons, particularly my teachers (I'm not sure why though) - though I doubt they'll remember me in even a few years' time, I'm not controversial and I'm not 'popular', I just work hard and do well. Apparently that's only impressive to adults, but even then I doubt I'm the sort that would be remembered...

Anyway, there's nothing we can do about these people that just seem to rule the lives of others, all the while being the most fake they possibly can, we just have to grin and bear it. Either that, or delete them from our 'friends' list. I'm saving that wonderful task for when I start college though, I have prom and results day to get through with these people first.

On a slightly different note, is there anything that you guys (the readers) would like to see me blog about? If there is, just leave a comment and I'll try my best to do something on whichever topic/subject/issue you choose :)

Finally, I'd just like to say hello to all of the foreign visitors I've received in the past few weeks, as well as those that loyally visit and read each time I post something. I'm genuinely thankful for everybody that takes the time to read what I have to say, and I'd love to get to know some of you either through comments you leave on here or on my Twitter page (which can be found down the left hand side). Feel free to shamelessly promote your own blogs on here, too, I'd love to read them all :)

Besos
Rachel


1 comment:

  1. The way I see it is that while we lack things in our teenage lives now, we'll benefit later in life because we work hard. Someone like BR won't really get anywhere whereas someone like you, who puts in effort and work to do great things, will one day be in a situation where you're an adult that's financially secure, in a good job and with good friends.
    If you look at celebrity culture in particular this is most common. Most celebrities (music artists i've noticed mainly) weren't majorly popular in their youth and struggled to get by but now they're living the fine life sipping champagne from crystal.
    Living in the here and now can be fun but preparing for the future can be more beneficial.

    ReplyDelete