Saturday 26 June 2010

Zauzeti Malo Pčela

Isn't it just wonderful when you leave school, begin to look forward to relaxing, then suddenly have a million and one things to do? OK, I don't really think it's wonderful either. But, the fact still remains that I am ridiculously busy even though I don't seem to be doing much.

I get to spend all day shopping for World Challenge kit list items on Tuesday (ugh) so I'm bound to be exhausted for about half of Wednesday...which isn't possible because Wednesday is prom day. I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to fit everything in on prom day, but somehow apparently I'm supposed to. One of the teachers coming on World Challenge tried to make us have a meeting on prom day - as if anybody would have bothered to turn up to that...

Speaking of World Challenge, it's about two weeks until we go down to Heathrow and fly over to Croatia. I really cannot believe that it's finally going to happen. I've spent a year and a half worrying over it, panicking that I wouldn't raise the funds and I wouldn't get along with any fellow team members. I've cried over it...a lot...for various reasons and now, in just two weeks, it's happening - for real.

Basically, 14 people from year ten and year eleven are going on expedition to the Paklenica National Park in Croatia with the organisation World Challenge. While we there we get to do stuff like trekking, putting up tents, kayaking/canoeing and/or losing team members (I'm joking, but my mum thinks I should 'lose' the person who keeps annoying me by placing every ounce of responsibility with me). We're going with a woman called Margaret who's from Ireland and represents World Challenge, as well as Mr Parkinson and Miss Morris from school. I'm in a tent with one girl that I've known for a while before the expedition, and one girl that I had a bit of a rough time with but am getting along well with now.

My 'challenge' has been incredibly varied and has been way harder than anybody first signing up could ever imagine. I am the only year eleven girl going...the other girls are in year ten. This in itself is tough because I only knew one of the year ten girls...and even then I barely ever spoke to her. The actual fundraising was horrendous too, but I have some good memories alongside it such as laughing hysterically at the moss growing inside a teacher's car when we did staff car washing or getting lost on a sponsored walk with a few of the other girls and somebody's mum.

Unfortunately though, when I remember the staff car washing, the fun memories are kind of ruined by what happened a few days after when one teacher accused me of scratching her new car. It turned out that I hadn't...she'd done it herself. I was having a horrible day anyway because of something that had happened at breaktime...I'd spent most of period 3 in tears and had barely recovered by the time said teacher began shouting at me in front of my entire food tech class at the beginning of period 5. I don't think I've ever felt so humiliated in my entire life. Apparently my food tech teacher and my form tutor shouted at her for being so horrible to me though, so it's all good...

If that doesn't demonstrate how awful some parts have been, I don't really know what could. The others have been looking forward to it for ages now but I've only just began to feel happy about it. I don't know whether it's because of the bad experiences I've had or other aspects (such as the fact that all responsibility, and I do mean all, gets placed with me), but I do know that it took me a long time.

At least once I get back from Croatia, I'll be able to spend all of summer sleeping.

I couldn't think of anything better to be honest...

Besos
Rachel



No comments:

Post a Comment