Wednesday 9 June 2010

Teaching and Learning

"Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and the pupil are located in the same individual"

I just saw this quote on Tumblr and just had to re-post it. I wish I'd known of this a few months ago when I made my own notebooks completely from scratch as I had no idea what I was doing and just kind of made it up as I went along. I also wish I'd known of this quote when I made my leaving scrapbook, but that's another story. For those that participate in any arts and crafts, you'll know how true it really is. I recall sitting at the table with card, felt, stamps, craft glue and some brads (fancy pins, basically) and looking at it all thinking ''OK, you're going to get this right even if you just make the whole process up'' - to some extent, I think I did. There are things I changed from the first to the second, and there are things I'd change again if I made another - but the basic idea remains the same. I might post my method up on here once I have time to write it out.

The quote is also true about making jewellery (beaded, not fancy...) - lots of people I know always spot my bracelets and tell me they must be ''so complicated'' and that they'd ''never be able to do it, it's too tricky''. In reality, it couldn't be easier. All you need is string, a nice assortment of beads and the ability to thread them onto the aforementioned string. You might not think it looks amazing at first, but you'll get better at it over time, I know I have. I look back on the ones I made right when I first started and kind of cringe at how they look compared to the ones I make now - but that's part of it.

I think creativity is actually an incredibly important thing, without it - life is quite dull. So, next time you have a kind of crazy idea and part of you goes ''it'd never work'' - ignore it and try anyway. You might be pleased with the end results :) And for those that don't like other people teaching them: you're your own teacher, what can be more simple than that?

Besos
Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment