Friday 23 September 2011

Being the Poppy

Choir started last Friday, so today was our second week. It's weird so far, Poppy and Jasmine have left, so there's only me and Chloe from the old choir who have been turning up. Today, I ended up talking a lot with Heather, who went to my primary and high schools, but who I never really talked to at all until today. Then this evening I realised something...

When I joined choir, Poppy was the cool Y13 I made friends with, she was my choir buddy etc and I guess in a way, I kind of looked up to her - she's always happy, never seems to have problems, she's lovely and awesome in every way and beyond funny. She was one of the few Y13 students in choir.


This year, I'm in Poppy's position. Only, obviously, I'm pretty much never happy, I always have problems, and according to many people I'm not lovely or awesome in any way, and I'm not funny. So y'know, I'm Poppy but I'm not...


What I mean is that I'm the one advising the Y13s on how college life really is. Last year, that was Poppy. The fire alarm went off at the end of rehearsal (it was the B block staffroom toaster...again...) and we all made our way down to the field. I walked with Heather and Chloe. Heather quizzed us on where we had to go for a fire and how the procedure works, we told her...and then also told her that it was probably B block again (obviously, we were correct :P)

I seem to have grown up more than I realised over the summer. I actually got angry with some boys who found a CHS/CA planner outside school/our bus stop a few mornings ago because they didn't do the responsible thing and hand it in. I was very close to actually taking it and handing it in myself, but one of them put it in his bag. This morning, he'd stuck graffiti all over it and ''was scared to hand it in''. I despaired. 


In the SOS meeting this morning, when Kristy gave us a little bullying statistic about how many incidents of bullying have already been reported since the start of term, I felt responsible for helping to protect those people. Why? Because that's what the whole SOS team signed up for - we had a lengthy conversation about our own bullying experiences and we realised that we had that one thing in common. Sad, but true.


I don't even know where I'm going with any of this, so I'm going to sign off now before it gets even messier...

Besos  
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment