Monday 25 July 2011

I need to get a grip

I just spent about an hour writing an email that was only really one paragraph in length. Yes, seriously. It takes me hours, sometimes, to write an email of decent length. Why? I don't know, but I seriously need to get a handle over it.

I think a lot of it is because it's so impersonal. I have two extremes with emailing people - I'm either used to only communicating with them face to face, or I only communicate with them online (I have a friend who I haven't seen in about 4 years and when we hopefully see each other in September, it'll be so strange). For those that I only talk to online, it's easy, I'm used to it. But with those that I speak to face to face, it's a little awkward, for me anyway. I rely a lot on being able to see somebody when I'm speaking to them. This probably has a lot to do with my 'phone phobia', too. 

Especially after having my SOS (peer mentoring) training, I've realised that I rely a lot on visual cues. When I'm talking to someone about their problems, for instance, I find myself watching where their gaze goes, how they sit etc - but you can't do that via Facebook, Twitter, email etc. 

I also find myself re-reading everything I've written at least three times before sending it. Why? Again, I don't know. I suppose because I don't want to come across in a bad way. I remember once googling ''ways to end an email'' and, while the article I read was amusing, it made me realise how pathetic I was being. 

There's somebody that I email regularly because she wants updates on my life...sometimes I just feel like linking her to here and letting her pick and choose what's interesting and what isn't. I don't know...for me, if somebody is interested enough in you to ask you to keep them updated, you shouldn't just spam them with everything and bore them. Or is that just me?...

Besos  
Rachel
 

No comments:

Post a Comment