Sunday 10 July 2011

Poland Diary - Friday 1st July, 12:13am, Room 46, Alexander 1 Hotel

This morning we were up by 7:30 and I washed my hair. Not the best or easiest shower in the world, but it could have been a stream halfway up a mountain so I’m not complaining, especially after yesterday. We all boarded the coach in the pouring rain and headed to the Jewish Quarter. We saw the graveyard and then went into the only active synagogue left in Kazimierz. The pieces of epitaphs that made up the wall fascinated me. Anna told us that when it had been destroyed, the pieces had survived but because they didn’t know who they belonged to, they compiled them all into one memorial. From there, we went to the Schindler’s Factory museum, which was insanely long. Anna spent ages explaining things but nobody really knew what she was talking about, it seemed. Lots of us all agreed it wasn’t what we were expecting, in that everything was replicated or ‘what they imagined it might have been like’.

We then went back to the hotel and out to get lunch. We then went back in Empik and I bought some beads and elastic. I started the day pretty annoyed at how everybody was just bitching and moaning about each other and telling made up stories to cause trouble (particularly between me and my friends). It’s just pathetic and completely immature. I did a good job of staying out of it all, though, with the exception of a small moan to Nigel when he picked up that I wasn’t in a great mood and asked me about it. We had tea at Mamma Mia again (this time with Becky and Emily too) then went back to the hotel, where I sat on Jess, Jess and Bethan’s floor.

 
Our ghost walk tour guide, Jacek (I think his name badge said that, anyway), met us at the hotel later in the evening. The tour itself was pretty dull but Pati, Jade and Nigel just messed about and made everyone laugh so we all got into it eventually - not too hard when the tour guide clearly had no idea what he was doing. It all culminated with us being taken into a random dark room and a randomer jumping out at us. To say I have major issues with the dark, I was one of the only people that didn’t scream and/or run for the door. Jade did decide it best to stand on me, though :(

After that, me, Jess, Jess, Jade, Stevan, Bethan, Emily, Becky and Pati all went to Coffee Heaven (me, Jess, Jess and Jade has been earlier in the afternoon as well). I had a caramel macchiato, which was way too nice. We spent ages in there, probably annoying all of the other customers with our constant laughter and the loudness of certain people probably didn’t help either. We then walked around and has a really good night overall, and we all seem to have bonded as a little group. On the way back to the hotel, we managed to lose Nigel…who we were later told was hiding somewhere to try and scare people. When in Poland…

No comments:

Post a Comment