Tuesday 1 March 2011

2/2 ESC Song Reviews For the Night

Moldova: Zdob si Zdub - So Lucky
I've liked Moldova before. 'Before' being the most important word in that sentence. Another one that I'm predicting will be skipped frequently when I play the CD...

Netherlands: 3JS - Je vecht nooit alleen
It doesn't have a huge first impact, I've pretty much already forgotten it and I just gave it a listen before typing out this sentence. Not too bad, voices aren't horrible etc etc.


Belarus: Anastasia Vinnikova - Born in Belorussia
Also sounds a bit like something from the Croatian supermarket I visited (see today's earlier post for that to make sense). The version I'm hearing is very low quality, so the singing isn't being done any favours by the video. It needs tweaking, very much so visually - she needs some sort of dancing going on. The bit with the male voices is a tad scary, then her vocals go off dramatically. Awkward.


Bulgaria: Poli Genova - Na Inat
I like it. Finally. Another that I like. I liked Bulgaria last year (Miro followed me on Twitter so I felt like I should give it a chance, and I liked it). I'm not the biggest fan ever of the ending (it just seems a bit too random to me) but up until the last few seconds it's a good song. I hope it'll get through, although Bulgarian political allies have never really been my strong point and they didn't last year. Hmm.


Denmark: A Friend in London - New Tomorrow
Another one that I like, which is awkward with the plagiarism rumours flying about. Actually, I really like it, even more awkward. If it is plagiarised from Andreas Johnson's Sing For Me (I have to admit, they are scarily similar), it's better. The thing is though, as The Axis of Awesome pointed out with their song 4 Chords...songs are pretty much all the same if mainstream... I'm going to like it and hope it doesn't get disqualified...


Estonia: Getter Jaani - Rockefeller Street
I kind of like it, it's a little different but interesting too. Better than last year. She needs some better dancers though, they're pitiful. I like the American bit in the middle but it doesn't have a smooth enough transition into the chorus at all and the ending ia a bit 'meh'.


Latvia: Musiqq - Angel in Disguise
I think there's some potential in it, somewhere, hidden underneath the bad execution of the song in the video I've just watched. It's very 'boybandish' which is either a good thing or a bad thing and I'm not sure which at the moment. 


Macedonia: Vlatko Ilievski - Rusinka
I liked the song Karolina Goceva did about her world, almost liked last year's, am seriously confused by this year's . I can't figure out whether it's just mental or whether it's to do with Macedonian music, but there's something odd about it. It sounds quite angry but in a watered down way.


Slovenia: Maja Keuc - Vanilja
It's alright. Her vocals aren't very strong for...most of it. I find myself thinking of Horehronie and signing because that song was good, and this isn't a good enough match. She somehow manages the big notes well, and misses the simple notes, which is (my new ESC motto apparently) 'both good and bad'. It picks up towards the end, thankfully, making it considerably better.


Germany: Lena - Taken By a Stranger
I deliberately didn't pay attention to Lena's possible songs, because I could almost guarantee I'd find one I preferred to the chosen one. It's got a very British influence again, and it reminds me of something but I can't quite figure out what...will let you all know if I ever do. There's a good degree of mystery about this one, as if it belongs in the background of a slightly more sophisticated Scooby Doo or something. The Marmite of ESC is back...


Italy: Raphael Gualazzi - Follia d'amore
I can't bring myself to hate this because it's Italy...and they're BACK! Unfortunately ESC has changed since Italy last participated, however it's a nice, little classic song from the Italian team. It doesn't even have to do well, I'm just thrilled they're back, and with a non-boring song that's a little different with some class to it.


Spain: Lucía Perez - Que me quiten lo bailao
Muy bien... I hope she isn't wearing that dress on the night, seriously, just no. I wanted Auryn, however this isn't bad. Her vocals don't seem to match Daniel Diges however I like it more than Soraya. It's going to be stuck in my head for a while, I can just tell. I hope if she tries choreographed dancing, it's better than in the final, though.


Favourites so far (in order):
1. Norway: Stella Mwangi - Haba Haba. I was dancing around my house to this when I first heard it, no joke, and I know I will for a long time... REALLY love this one.
2. Poland: Magdalena Tul - Jestem. Catchy and fun as well as showing off the Polish language without making it sound like murder (like the on-stage pretend murder of last year). Another one to dance about to.
3. Finland: Paradise Oskar - Da Da Dam. Not my favourite Finnish potential ESC entry however I do like it, a lot. Reminds me of Tom Dice and Jon Lilygreen. 
4. Denmark: A Friend in London - New Tomorrow. Sounds a bit like an anthem, also sounds very British like the band name would suggest. It's my kind of song.
5. Spain: Lucía Perez - Que me quiten lo bailao. It's fun and the sort of song you don't have to pay much attention to in order to enjoy. Light and easy on the ears...


I'm also terribly afraid to say that Lipstick has grown on me without me listening to it again. Oh dear...


What are your top fives?

Besos
Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment