Sunday 13 March 2011

This is your song

So, yesterday was the first (and possibly last) rehearsal for Comic Relief on Friday. Somehow, Poppy and I have ended up being roped into busking in a shopping centre on Friday. There are a few things wrong with this plan:
1) Neither of us have a clue what we're doing;
2) We can't really sing;
3) Our only instrument is a ukulele, and a tambourine that I plan on borrowing/stealing from Rob in Music on Friday morning before we set off;
4) We can only do two songs even half decently.

If we say that my bedroom, in the UK, up north somewhere, is my comfort zone...I am currently in Australia - that's how far out of my comfort zone I am. I literally cannot even see my comfort zone anymore. It's definitely one thing singing in a choir and another performing as a duo. Our current songs are Not Perfect - Tim Minchin and Your Song - Ellie Goulding. We also can half do Hey, Soul Sister by Train...but that one involves me singing alone :(

My afternoon yesterday was spent sitting around Poppy's dining room table while she played her ukulele and her sister occasionally joined in if she liked/knew the song. It was fun, but we probably could have prepared more. She's coming to mine tomorrow after college so we can rehearse again. We'll more than likely have my dad chipping in with his musical expertise...


If anybody has any suggestions of songs that are easy to play on the ukulele and also easy for someone with very average singing abilities to sing, please let us know!


Besos
Rachel


 

1 comment:

  1. When I'm learning songs for guitar, I pick songs I like and see how they look on the page. Go for that approach and you should be alright. You can look up chords on Ultimate Guitar and transfer to ukulele. I've never played one so I wouldn't be sure of easy chords.

    ReplyDelete