Tuesday 1 March 2011

More ESC 2011 Song Reviewing...

Georgia: Eldrine - One More Day
Wow. Admittedly, this song does pick up towards the end. The first 3/4 are incredibly messy, in my opinion. I don't really know what to say about it to make this mini review a tad longer. It's not my kind of thing, I don't hate it, it's just this year's Narodnozabavni Rock - I'll probably skip it when I listen to the CD most times.

Poland: Magdalena Tul - Jestem
Reminds me of music I heard in Plodine (Croatian supermarket at Benkovac) except I know who it is. I'm kind of biased as I'm going to Poland in the summer but I've liked their past few entries - this is one of my favourites so far. It's quite catchy unlike Marcin's entry last year. As long as it doesn't feature poison apples, it should do fine...

Serbia: Nina - Čaroban
Don't mind it, don't love it. It's not as insane as last year's entry, which could work well or could work badly. Will probably get through anyway, but it's quite strong, I'd imagine...

Turkey: Yuksek Sadakat - Live It Up
It's definitely no We Could Be the Same, but at the same time it'll probably still do reasonably well. I understand that a lot of people have been disappointed, which is a shame because it's not a bad song at all, it's just not perhaps up to last year's standards. I've got a feeling it's going to grow on me and then become quite catchy.


Iceland: Sigurjon's Friends - Aftur Heim
A nice performance tribute to Sigurjon Brink. It wasn't the strongest song in the final by far but there's something charming about the song that I can't quite put my finger on. Another grower, I think, though I quite like it already. A lot of people were disappointed that Yohanna didn't get it, and while her song was beautiful, it wasn't as...interesting as this one.


Lithuania: Evenlina Sasenko - C'est ma vie
First thoughts: this is a little like Shine by Sofia Nizharadze. Second thoughts: this belongs in a Disney movie, or placed in a musical soundtrack. I wanted Sasha Son because I believe he was robbed with Love - it was so good. His ballad was better than this one, in my opinion. I'm not at all sure about this one at the moment.


Malta: Glen Vella - One Life
As I tweeted, I never bothered with the Maltese final this year after last year's nearly put me to sleep (the best part was the adverts...Crosscraft etc) - I was surprised that Malta had picked such an upbeat song after last year's selection. It has a VERY typical Eurovision feel to it, which is kind of missing in so many entries chosen thus far.


Austria: Nadine Beiler - The Secret Is Love
Have a sneaking suspicion it could be this year's Firefly...good in principle but badly executed. She has a strong voice but we all thought that about Niamh last year and it wasn't as such on the night, which was a shame then and could well be with this. It's a little dull but not bad, there are much worse. 


Belgium: Witloof Bay - With Love Baby
Oh, Belgium, what have you done?! You seem to have chosen a bunch of people from an office and made them sing acapella. Tom Dice to this? Honestly... The main singer is, well, bad, at singing and the rest aren't good either. Even Lipstick is better than this. 

Bosnia and Herzegovina: Dino Merlin - Love in Rewind
His voice reminds me of Slav singing in Croatia...but aside from that...it's a little odd but in that intriguing way. My first impressions haven't left me very impressed but it may grow on me. It's certainly not one that's been heavily influenced by Lena, which at least makes it original and not a rip-off Britpop style song. It also has that typical Eurovision feel. Whether it will get through or not is debatable.


Cyprus: Christos Mylordos - San aggelos s'agapisa
Mr Mylordos himself seems like a likeable guy, but I just do not understand this song. It'll be interesting to hear/see it in live version rather than the music video version I found. It's a little Urban Symphony/Dmitry Koldun mixed with some Greek. 


More to follow later if I get my Media done in time...

Besos
Rachel

 




No comments:

Post a Comment