Thursday 10 March 2011

ESC Songs - Part 3

Armenia: Emmy - Boom Boom
I don't like it or hate it, it's one of those songs that make your foot tap along to it even though it's pretty average. It's another very typical ESC entry for this year.

Russia: Alexey Vorobyov - Get You
*Note: all opinions are based on a really bad quality leaked video*
I don't mind this one, from what I've heard/the muffled video I'm listening to. I like the fact that it's very upbeat after last year and the year before (they both kind of depressed me, not something you want from ESC really...) It's quite catchy.

Croatia: Daria Kinzer - Celebrate/Break a Leg (I'm not actually sure of the title of this one)
I really like this one. I watched the first two episodes of Dora 2011 and then gave up, but I don't remember Daria at all...maybe I missed her? Anyway, I like this song, it's pretty cheery and I'm always a sucker for songs that have a really cheesy message in them.

Greece: Loukas Giorkas ft. Stereo Mike - Watch My Dance
Er, well, Greece have disappointed me a little this year, I'm afraid. I like the traditional Greek thread running through it, and Mr Giorkas seems like a charming fellow. My main worry with this song is that people won't 'get' it, especially because it's two distinct different genres of music mashed up into one song. I like that there's Greek in it, though.

Hungary: Kati Wolf - What About My Dreams?
I can't speak any Hungarian, but it sounds pretty alright despite this. Rumour has it that it will have English in too on the ESC stage. It sounds like quite a strong entry, nice to see them taking it more seriously than when Zoli Adok took to the stage for them in 2009.

Portugal: Homens da Luta - A luta é alegria
Just disappointing. Seems to have stepped straight of what I shall call 'old ESC'. There were so many better entires, why this?!

Slovakia: TWiiNS - I'm Still Alive
Firstly, horrible styling of their name. Secondly, I like it, it sounds very modern - completely different to Horehronie but I like them both for their own reasons. It's not as quick paced as some of the other entries, but I think this makes it stand out in a good way. I hope the vocals are good live, otherwise this good song could be ruined.

Ukraine: Mika Newton - Angels
I never really liked last year's but I much preferred it to this - this just isn't good but I've got a feeling it'll end up in the final regardless. And the stage set-up with the 'angels' is creeping me out...

Israel: Dana International - Ding Dong
Not a fan, it's another upbeat one which is good but there's something about it - not sure what yet - that I'm not a great fan of. I'm also getting tired of going ''it's upbeat''...

France: Amaury Vassili - Sognu
Just the thought of this being a classical song excited me, perhaps more than it ever should have done. I'd never have liked this if I didn't like Josh Groban, I'll admit, but bizarrely, I do. France always surprises me - every year the entry is completely different to the last but for the past few years, good in its own way.

United Kingdom: Blue - I Can
Words cannot even describe how happy I am with our entry this year. I know I'm biased and everything, but not even I could champion poor Josh's entry last year. I could imagine this song in the charts, which is always a good start. It's catchy, upbeat (again with that word!) and I don't think it's the sort of song that can be easily forgotten. I love it, and I'm proud of our entry for once :)

Favourites so far (not in order because our entry has totally thrown my order off balance):
- Norway: Stella Mwangi - Haba Haba
- Denmark: A Friend in London - New Tomorrow
- United Kingdom: Blue - I Can
- Poland: Magdalena Tul - Jestem
- Slovakia: TWiiNS - I'm Still Alive
- Croatia: Daria Kinzer - Celebrate/Break a Leg
- Spain: Lucia Perez - Que me quiten lo bailao


Finland's entry has slowly worked its way off the list, probably mostly because I've found songs since that I prefer. It's still good, though.


I'm very much looking forward to the Melodifestivalen final. I'd like either Eric Saade or Swingfly, although I don't mind Danny or Sanna Nielsen, wasn't a huge fan of The Moniker because the song just annoyed me really.


What are your favourites so far?


Besos
Rachel
 

No comments:

Post a Comment